Friday 15 June 2012

Fountain Pens for Students

The school year is now officially over. Before we start planning next year, we need to reflect and decide what went well and what didn't work, what needs to be changed and which aspects of our work are keepers. One of the things I am definitely going to keep, is the use of fountain pens. I bought my first pen at the age of eight, it was a cheap, plastic Pelican, and I have been using them ever since. Through the years I have gathered a small collection of fountain pens and different inks and I use them all the time in class. I was really amazed when I realised my students were interested in using my pens, so I started bringing them in and handing them out in the beginning of our lesson. The children turned out to be avid calligraphers and I must admit I am really happy for their patience and perseverance. 


When I was a child it was difficult to find good, cheap, ergonomic fountain pens that we could use in class. Most teachers didn't want us to use fountain pens, because they were messy and made us slower in our writing, or maybe because it reminded them of their own school years full of ink stains and blue fingertips. However, things have changed immensely. Many teachers nowadays ask their first grade students to learn how to write using fountain pens. You cannot write using a fountain pen, unless you hold it correctly. What is more, fountain pens are very user friendly. They allow steady ink flow, they adjust to the individual user's handwriting and cater for different angles between the paper and the nib. If your child learns to use a fountain pen correctly, with time they will become quicker in their writing too, as the pen slides on paper. Finally, fountain pens are not as expensive as one would think, especially if you use bottled ink, most of my pens cost less than 10 euro. 

If you want your children to start using a fountain pen, consider one of the following for their first one. 




These are great for total beginners. They are chunky enough for small hands to hold firmly, but also light. All models have a grip, some even have rubber grips. I would suggest you start with a medium tip, because fine tips dry quickly, require that the writer is quick, and have less contact with the paper. If you are lucky, (in Greece they are not easy to find),  you will also find the hooded nib model, that prevents children from holding the pen really low near the tip, thus getting inky fingertips. The best part is that there is also a model for left handed children. 


2. Inoxcrom

I bought my first Inoxcrom when I was a student and I have fallen in love ever since. The good thing is they are light, colourful, relatively cheap - (around 7 euro) and above all easy to find in shops in Athens. They also write smoothly and evenly. However, they don't have a grip, which might be a problem with very young students. They don't offer any models for left handed children as far as I know. 




3. Lamy Safari and Lamy ABC


Throughout the years I have noticed that this pen suits best my sixth graders. It is ideal for children with somewhat round and large handwriting style. It helps them write smoothly and evenly, it has an even ink flow, which prevents stains, it is light and it comes in a variety of bold colours. It offers an ergonomic grip, and you can easily find an ink pump for them. It is my favourite everyday fountain pen. 

4. Faber Castell for left handed children.

Left handed people are said to have excellent handwriting. Through the years I have realised it is true. However they might have trouble finding a fountain pen that works for them. Faber Castell's model claims to address that problem. It comes in bright colours, it is light and has an ergonomic grip that is way too comfortable. I simply love the way it slides on paper. It also has a cap that can be personalised




5. Disposable Fountain Pens

You might want to start by buying your child a cheap disposable fountain pen. In that way the child will have the opportunity to try using a fountain pen without spending too much money. There are many disposable pens in the market and they come in various colours. However, you might want to keep in mind that they don't offer the same quality experience as the cheapest of refillable fountain pens. They release too much ink, causing uneven flow and stains. 

Maintenance

Now that school is over for the summer, I will not be using all of my pens so much. It is very important that you clean your pens when you are not using them, especially if you live in a very hot place, like I do. It is a very simple process. To begin with, remove the empty cartridge from the nib, then emerge it in cool water to soak. You might want to change water if it gets too inky. Let it soak for a while, then take the nib and place it, facing downwards, under running water until the water that comes out of the nib is colourless. The last step is to let the pens dry completely. It is a very important step, as some of the tips are not stainless and might rust with time. Take some paper towels and place in the bottom of a relatively narrow glass. Place the nib standing on its tip within the glass and let it be for about an hour. The paper will absorb the excess water that is trapped inside the nib and will allow it to dry. 



Place the nibs in a glass.


Fill the glass with tap water. 

Change the water until it turns out almost without any ink.
Then run them under the tap until the water runs clean.

After running them under the tap place
 them on kitchen paper.

Place some kitchen paper on the bottom
of the glass, then let it absorb the
water that remains inside the nibs. 








No comments:

Post a Comment